We have extensive experience on employment legal issues that range from the drafting of executive contracts, consultancy legal arrangements, drafting policies and staff handbooks to settlement agreements and severance packages.
We advise on all legal matters relating to employment in the workplace and which involve domestic and international employment law issues, including employer obligations on establishing businesses in the UK, hiring senior executives and other employees, terminating employment (including by collective dismissals) and the taxation consequences of such termination, settling disputes including by a settlement agreement, drafting or reviewing employee/company/staff handbooks, individual and mass redundancies and consultation requirements, the effect and validity of restrictive covenants, dual contract arrangements and the international movement and transfer of employees.
As Employment solicitors we also advise on constructive and unfair dismissal, litigation in the employment tribunals generally, sexual harassment and love contracts, all areas of discrimination and harassment, sickness, employer options if employees abuse information technology systems including under the Obscene Publications Act, subject access requests under the Data Protection Act and other issues under that act and health and safety issues as it relates to an employment situation.
We are business lawyers and regularly advise our clients on the employment aspects of insourcing or outsourcing businesses or parts of businesses, particularly on the Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations 2006 (“TUPE”).
In employment tribunals, in appropriate cases, we work with barristers on tribunal matters, but in others, where it is appropriate, we undertake advocacy ourselves. Jessica Learmond-Criqui trained as a barrister and is also a Solicitor Advocate.
We provide a one stop shop to employers with interests abroad who wish to have a UK adviser co-ordinate advice on employment matters in Europe and elsewhere.
Some specific examples of our expertise in employment law are set out below.
- Represented an international publishing company in employment tribunal proceedings including advocacy before the tribunal in relation to proceedings brought by an ex-employee for constructive and unfair dismissal and sex discrimination.
- Represented an ex-employee of a publishing company in an employment tribunal claim for constructive and unfair dismissal.
- Advised an employee of a private educational establishment on unfair dismissal and whistleblowing claims which was successfully fought in the employment tribunal.
- Represented 109 employees in employment tribunal proceedings brought on their behalf under the Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations 1981 (TUPE) following the receivership of their ex-employer, Yardley of London Limited, and their subsequent redundancy.
- Advised a multi-national electronics company, global merchant bank and international transport group on the establishment and continued operation of their European Works Councils.
- Advised a global management consultancy on the employment aspects of outsourcing implications of their acquisition of the financial services division of a UK retailer.
- Advised an international medical equipment group on closing factories, mass redundancies, the employment aspects of the transfer of businesses including TUPE issues and its consultation obligations with employees.
- Advised on the strategic transfer of the estate to the private sector (STEPS) which dealt with the transfer of the entire property estate of the Inland Revenue and Customs and Excise to the private sector.
- Advised on labour law aspects and particularly the Retention of Employment Model for the Principal Service Provider in the negotiation of one of the largest ever PFI hospital projects to provide a new 1300 bed acute hospital with separate mental health and clinical sciences units at a total capex of £360m (Coventry v Warwickshire NHS Trust, Coventry Primary Care Trust). The project saw non-clinical services provided to the Trusts for 35 years and was the first to adopt the Retention of Employment Model.
We can work with people in Hampstead, Camden, Highgate, Swiss Cottage, Golders Green, Belsize Park and further afield in London. We also deal with both national and international clients on employment legal issues.
"Jessica is one of the hardest working people that I know. She has an excellent and well deserved reputation within her field of Employment Law. If you are looking for someone to give sensible and helpful advice, and to always be there when you need them (and I mean always) then Jessica is the one for you.
Jessica was our external legal advisor and helped us with all of our tricky legal issues for over 10 years. The advice we got was always sound – and you got advice that was helpful, rather than just being given all the options! She has the most incredible work ethic and we have regularly exchanged e-mail at 10pm at night, and when she is on vacation – this is how she keeps her many customers satisfied, but she never sounds rushed or busy when you call for help.
I couldn’t recommend her more highly."
Top qualities: Great Results, High Integrity, CreativeSeptember 28, 2010
Angela Dixonhired Jessica as an Employment Lawyer in 1993, and hired Jessica more than once